May 2024

MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

Battle of Seelow Heights and the Fall of Berlin, March-May 1945

woofiedog
    woofiedog
    TSF Member-Silver Tools
    TSF Member-Silver Tools

Battle of Seelow Heights and the Fall of Berlin, March-May 1945 Empty Battle of Seelow Heights and the Fall of Berlin, March-May 1945

Post by woofiedog Fri Dec 29, 2017 12:29 am

Battle of Seelow Heights and the Fall of Berlin, March-May 1945

Some reading material for those of you that may have a little extra time.  Smile

Battle of Seelow Heights and the Fall of Berlin, March-May 1945 Battle_of_Berlin

Battle of Seelow Heights and the Fall of Berlin, March-May 1945 Image035

http://www.eur.army.mil/history/SeelowHeights/BattlebookSeelowHeights.pdf#page=39&zoom=auto,-150,706

A quote from... Colonel General Heinrici’s Report for Seelow Heights.

According to Heinrici, Guderian's exact words were as follows...

"The way the war is being run is unbelievable.  The Ardennes offensive was a complete error. I repeatedly begged Hitler on my knees to get our troops out of the Ardennes and put them on the East Front because I knew the Russians would attack any day.  And because our Panzer troops were tied down in the West the whole Polish front collapsed.

When finally we got them back from the West, they were sent to Plattensee in Hungary and there  launched a perfectly useless attack with no reason or purpose.  

In Kurland there are 18 divisions defending for nothing.  They are needed here!  It is impossible to work.  Twice a day I have to drive from here to Hitler's bunker, it’s impossible.  Then you get held up for hours there.  They spend hours discussing nothing.  I can't get any work done anymore. I'm either on the road or listening to drivel in the bunker.

Last Battle: The Classic History of the Battle for Berlin.

https://erenow.com/ww/lastbattlebattleforberlin/

Quote... Now as he approached the outskirts of Zossen, Heinrici could not help remembering that at his departure his staff had looked at him “as though I was a lamb being led to the slaughter.”

Quote... On the phone to his old colleague in Silesia, Heinrici said, “Himmler was only too happy to leave. He couldn’t get out of here fast enough. He didn’t want to be in charge when the collapse comes. No. He wanted just a simple general for that—and I’m the goat.”
    woofiedog
    woofiedog
    TSF Member-Silver Tools
    TSF Member-Silver Tools

Battle of Seelow Heights and the Fall of Berlin, March-May 1945 Empty Re: Battle of Seelow Heights and the Fall of Berlin, March-May 1945

Post by woofiedog Fri Dec 29, 2017 8:31 pm

A video clip containing many of the surviving veterans accounts of the last battles before and around Berlin.

Quote... In February of 1945 General Heinz Guderian had devised a counteroffensive called “Operation Solstice”. The aim of the operation was to use Army Group Vistula to drive back the Soviets with a massive counterattack. General Guderian, knowing that a full fledged assault led by Himmler would be a bloody disaster, demanded that someone else lead the operation. After a very heated argument Hitler agreed to give command of the counter attack to General Walter Wenck.

This was the last months of the war in which Hitler brooded in his bunker moving imaginary units on a map and planning the last great battle that would lead Germany to ultimate victory. When the counter-attack “Operation Solstice” failed to stop the Soviet advance, Hitler held Himmler personally liable and accused him of not following orders

On 20 March 1945, Adolf Hitler replaced Heinrich Himmler with Heinrici as Commander-in-Chief of Army Group Vistula on the Eastern Front. Indicating that he was ill, Himmler had abandoned his post on March 13 and retired to a sanatorium at Hohenlychen. At this time, Army Group Vistula’s front was less than 50 miles from Berlin.

German Army Group Vistula (Weichsel)12 April 1945

http://usacac.army.mil/cac2/CGSC/CARL/nafziger/945GDBC.pdf

Battle of Seelow Heights and the Fall of Berlin, March-May 1945 Screen_Shot036

Battle of Seelow Heights and the Fall of Berlin, March-May 1945 Screen_Shot037

Battle of Seelow Heights and the Fall of Berlin, March-May 1945 Vistula

Current date/time is Fri May 10, 2024 5:41 pm