» Panther Tank??
by mechanic Mon Feb 05, 2024 4:47 am

» Quebec Police clowns
by frinik Sun Jan 14, 2024 12:06 am

May 2024

MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

4 posters

Do SABOW has a good perspective as tanksim?

Poll

Do SABOW has a good perspective as tanksim?

[ 6 ]
    Do SABOW has a good perspective as tanksim? - Page 2 Bar_left75%Do SABOW has a good perspective as tanksim? - Page 2 Bar_right [75%] 
    [ 2 ]
    Do SABOW has a good perspective as tanksim? - Page 2 Bar_left25%Do SABOW has a good perspective as tanksim? - Page 2 Bar_right [25%] 
    [ 0 ]
    Do SABOW has a good perspective as tanksim? - Page 2 Bar_left0%Do SABOW has a good perspective as tanksim? - Page 2 Bar_right [0%] 

Total Votes: 8
    Poll closed
    lockie
    lockie
    TSF Member
    TSF Member

Do SABOW has a good perspective as tanksim? - Page 2 Empty Re: Do SABOW has a good perspective as tanksim?

Post by lockie Tue Apr 14, 2015 11:57 am

Is it possible to upload here a new manual? I'd like to have a look to see what the dif. between "campaign" and "instant action". I see that developers with a big precautions try to avoid any mentions abt. word "mission" Smile
    I guess this is because "mission" has for user (in most cases) clear and understandable purposes and victory/fail conditions.
    33lima
    33lima
    TSF Member
    TSF Member

Do SABOW has a good perspective as tanksim? - Page 2 Empty Re: Do SABOW has a good perspective as tanksim?

Post by 33lima Tue Apr 14, 2015 9:20 pm

The first post here describes how the 'Quick Battle' (now called 'Battle Editor') works:

http://graviteam.com/forum/index.php?topic=11814.0

There are three .pdf manuals - tanks, tactics and controls.

You can either:

- play one of the 3 'instant action' missions; or

- use the Battle Editor to generate a mission (see CombatAce report for screenshot of the parameters you can choose here); or

- play a campaign, and the SABOW wargame will choose a battle for you.

This last option is quite clever because the SABOW wargame is generating your missions depending on how the overall battle is developing. It seems to have some elements of a real dynamic campaign - for example, a moving front line, results like losses on each side carried forward from mission to mission. It is possibly the best single player campaign system that any tanksim has ever had. To get the best results, you DO need to spend a bit of time, before and during each battle, going to the map and playing the role of your force commander, planning the battle and then intervening from time time. In between, you can tanksim. You can also just ignore the planning and tanksim, but you will probably be less successful in battle because the rest of your troops will just sit where they are deployed.

It MAY be possible for users to create campaigns in which you don't need to play commander. In SABOW you command the RED units on the map, but there can be other 'allied' units there as well - YELLOW. These seem to act under AI control. By giving the player just ONE red platoon amd making all the others friendlies (yellow) with scripts to follow, it is possible such a campaign could play very like a mission in a more conventional tanksim - just run your own platoon.

There is possibly a 'middle way' you can play now, to maximise tanksimming and minimise wargaming as a higher commander. Pick the platoon you want to command before the battle. Decide what your platoon is going to do when the mission begins - move here or move there. Then give the other platoons you command some very quick, simple orders - Click each unit, click the 'Attack'  command, then click the point on the map you want them to attack towards - just 3 clicks for each platoon. Obviously, select a target for them that will fit in with where YOU intend to go. Then just start the battle, hop into your tank and fight. Let your other platoons make their attacks, don't intervene. Not that different from the way a mission plays out, in SF. Maximum tanksimming, minimum wargaming.

The other distinct wargaame aspect is the victory conditions. Just like any set of wargame rules, the game designer or umpire must have some system. In SABOW there is a system which applies to all campaign missions, based on scoring points. This sounds artificial and to some extent it is. Exactly the same with all wargames, victory is not a case of the player meeting set goals - but of which side wins. This requires some comparison of each side's results. SABOW uses realistic criteria - for example, most points are awarded to whoever holds the ground with the highest tactical importance - high ground, crossroads or whatever. To an extent it is artificial but it is also quite realistic and a fairly standard concept in any wargame.

The section below is from the 'Tactics' manual and describes how campaigns work.

2 GAME DESCRIPTION
    “Steel Armor: Blaze of War” is a realistic tank simulator with tactical elements.
    The game is presented in two equally important parts:
    - Operational: player can choose the battlefield area, replenish and reinforce his army and repairs his vehicles.
    - Tactical: player gets into actual battle, drives his tank and commands his units.
    There is no single missions in the game, player creates his own game which dramatically increases replayability.
    The goal is to win a few battles in any of four operations taking command over tank units of either the Soviet or Iranian
    or Iraqi or Angolan Army (FAPLA).
    Each of the operations dictates its own strategies:
    1) Afghanistan: first of all, destroy enemy’s fire points and support your motor-rife troops.
    2) Iran – classic tank clashes with an outnumbering enemy.
    3) Angola – full-fledged mobile warfare involving all types of troops.
    Depending on operation, the player will have either Soviet T-62 medium tank or US main battle tank M60A1. Player can drive his tank from driver’s seat and shoot from the gunner’s place as well as command his tank crew and the whole of the unit from the commander’s seat. For each tank was implemented interactive cockpit in which using the mouse, player can perform basic operations: sight selection, moving between the crew places or to stowed position, work with the tank equipment and the choice of loading projectile.

Player will be assigned a variety of tasks:
    1) Scout and attack enemy positions.
    2) Defend allied troops positions.
    3) Occupy and defend settlements.
    4) Support infantry.
    5) Ambush the enemy, and break out of encirclements.

Player can complete his tasks either commanding a single tank (tank platoon) or commanding more units in the Tactical Map mode. Each battle brings to player's crew and his troops experience points and (probably) awards after a battle, Statistics Mode turns on, and player can check his results, see detailed report of his tank’s and units’ shooting performance and the list of sustained hits.
    lockie
    lockie
    TSF Member
    TSF Member

Post by lockie Tue Apr 14, 2015 9:41 pm

33lima wrote:The first post here describes how the 'Quick Battle' (now called 'Battle Editor') works:
    http://graviteam.com/forum/index.php?topic=11814.0
    Thanks u for the link, but I prefer to see the source first, if possible. It has been accustomed for me first reading and try to understand, then ask the questions. That's why I'm interested to see the manual. If possible, I would be pleased to see all of them, which has status updated/new, especially as for campaign/battle creating.
    I've read er report several times and that's why I'd like to make wider my knowledge abt. SABOW new "instantactioncreating". I didn't have the game, I try to understand the ability to make the mission (or whatever they called in SABOW). May be there are no missions at all, but I still hope to get a chance.

The other wargame aspect is the victory conditions.
    That's my core to be interested in. I appreciate er explanation, but I'd prefer to read it and then, in case my doubts, I'd ask u to clear some questions.

2 GAME DESCRIPTION
    “Steel Armor: Blaze of War” is a realistic tank simulator with tactical elements.
    That 's a bit confusing me, coz the word "realistic" sounds kinda someones imagination. I'd understand - "the GAME, which has a tendency as a tank simulator" without "realistic" mention. Coz as for developer - it's realistic, but as for some ppl - it's half-realistic or even not a realistic tanksim anymore. It's a very discussed sentence. But anyway, let it be "realistic tank simulator".

There is no single missions in the game, player creates his own game which dramatically increases replayability.
    Oh, I see now. Thank u very much for explanations. Now I know what SABOW does.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 10, 2024 1:16 am