May 2024

MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

5 posters

Heroes and Generals

gunnyhighway

Heroes and Generals Empty Heroes and Generals

Post by gunnyhighway Mon Aug 04, 2014 8:11 pm

Did anyone played that game and is interested to play in a clan?
    frinik
    frinik
    TSF Member-Golden Feather

Heroes and Generals Empty Re: Heroes and Generals

Post by frinik Tue Aug 05, 2014 7:00 am

Played it twice and turned me off completely....Got killed I don't know how many times by snipers all over the maps, mediocre graphics and animation. I got Red Orchestra Heroes of Stalingrad with Rising Storm for free and by comparison Hs & Gs doesn't cut it for me....
    gunnyhighway

Post by gunnyhighway Tue Aug 05, 2014 5:27 pm

So what mmo's or MP do you play?
    frinik
    frinik

Post by frinik Wed Aug 06, 2014 5:50 am

Mostly BF3 and occasionally Red Orchestra 2 and Far Cry 3 . I don't play any MMO I tried a lot of them ( War Thunder, WoT, Ghost Recon online, Counter strike, Day of Defeat, Team Fortress 2, Dota 2,  Warface, Heroes and Generals, DCS, Battlefield 1942 online) none got me either interested or playing for long.
    gunnyhighway

Post by gunnyhighway Wed Aug 06, 2014 6:20 am

well if you did the real thing, it seems boring. I understand that!...
    frinik
    frinik

Post by frinik Wed Aug 06, 2014 7:12 am

The real thing????
    gunnyhighway

Post by gunnyhighway Wed Aug 06, 2014 6:35 pm

Served your country through a military service!

BTW, what is Dota2?

Have you tried Tiger vs T34? SABOW? SBProPE? and in a different style Unity of command and the Theatre of War series?
    frinik
    frinik

Post by frinik Wed Aug 06, 2014 8:26 pm

No unlike you I never served in the army ( I am guessing because of your handle).

Dota2 is an MMO very similar to StarCraft..

TvsT I played a lot when it came out in 2008 but never MP. I even subscribed to Zeewolf's mods the first year they came out in 2010. I still have the game installed although I haven't played it since 2012. SB I have since 2008 but I have played only SP.

Theatre of War I don't have but I have games that are quite similar: Soldiers Heroes of WW2, Men of War, Codename Panzers 1 & 2 as well as the Blitzkrieg/ Blitzkrieg HT/Kursk series.. kind of fun games that remind me when I used to play with my toy soldiers and model airplanes and tanks..
    33lima
    33lima
    TSF Member
    TSF Member

Post by 33lima Thu Aug 07, 2014 11:15 pm

gunnyhighway wrote:Served your country through a military service!

BTW, what is Dota2?

Have you tried Tiger vs T34? SABOW? SBProPE? and in a different style Unity of command and the Theatre of War series?

If I may butt in here, I have the original ToW but didn't like it because (like the original Combat Mission, and for all I know later CMs) it simulated wargaming with miniatures, not warfare. IOW you played by (micro-) managing your soldiers and vehicles. Instead of playing like a real force commander, where the 'pieces on the board' are your platoons (if you're commanding a company-sized force) or companies (if battalion-sized). I enjoyed dabbling with 1/300 micro-armour but again, I didn't like the rules which created a game of 'chess with individual tanks and fire teams'. By contrast, the 1985 Wargames Research Group rules for armoured warfare 1925-1950 finally got it right. The player worked by issuing one of a fixed range of orders (with better troops having a wider range) to each of his platoons, who then carried out the move like a drill or SOP.

Not into MP since (i) to me the major advantage of playing on a PC is that the PC provides an ever-ready enemy who is (should be) programmed to play reasonably realistically not 'game the game' (ii) sims which major on MP seem to do so at the cost of SP and (iii) MP seems prone to all sorts of behaviour I don't care for, like WW1 virtual pilots apparently using voice comms in a pre-radio era, ignoring proper Radio Voice Procedure (and that much happens even in SB Pro MP games, from what I've seen), playing like their lives didn't depend on it and all the rest.

Different world, just not for me.

I sort of like T-34 -vs- Tiger despite the poor AI and hopelessly limited mission sets. SABOW I have and will get into some day, despite the tricky interface, tho I don't care for the 'sim within an RTS' approach, in SABOW nor in Battle of Britain/BoB2. I want to play as the platoon commander/flight leader, not the Combat Team or Group Commander and then drop into a random fight in a random tank or plane. Good old M1TP2 style. Now THAT's what I call a sim (despite its foibles).

I played and liked the original Steel Beasts (SP only as usual), though as I said to Ssnake back in the day, I thought it needed to settle better on putting you in one (or more at your choice, but ONE at a time) simulated role (TC, TC/platoon commander, TC/platoon leader) and having the computer simulate the rest, doing what the Directing Staff would do on an exercise or what the OC would do in real life. Like stepping in when the plan started to come apart or need re-planned, exercising the command and control thing. I expect SB Pro PE is much the same in that regard, being a training tool spin-off, where real DS will cover those roles. Still I plan to get it some day, when money is no object, as I'm sure it's still technically the best tanksim.
    frinik
    frinik

Post by frinik Fri Aug 08, 2014 6:54 am

No question about it SB is and will likely remain the best tanksim until another company comes up with a game version of their armour training software....

Speaking of war gaming; has any of you ever played the Avalon Hill type of board games in the 70s or 80s? I remember fondly playing Third Reich in particular.
    Tanker
    TSF Member
    TSF Member

Post by Tanker Fri Aug 08, 2014 7:47 pm

frinik wrote:No question about it SB is and will likely remain the best tanksim until another company comes up with a game version of their armour training software....

Speaking of war gaming; has any of you ever played the Avalon Hill type of board games in the 70s or 80s? I remember fondly playing Third Reich in particular.

I played many of the AH titles and still have them in my basement.  My favorites were Blitzkrieg, Tactics II, D-Day, Stalingrad and Gettysburg.

@33Lima: I understand your position on MP but I'll tell you there's nothing like being a crew member in a Panther with other humans occupying the other positions and fighting a co-op battle against ai T-34s and infantry like you can in the Arma2/3 mod Iron Front Liberation 1944. Exciting as anything.

The PC is not just a vehicle to allow play at anytime against an ai opponent. It is also great to allow humans to play disregarding geographical separation. We can interact with people that share our weird interest world wide. It's a miracle that still amazes me every time I do it. The trick is to have a group, as I have found, that plays for the experience not just the win at all costs style. The guys I game with eschew gamey tactics and value the teamwork. Lots of fun. Don't totally discount it.
    gunnyhighway

Post by gunnyhighway Fri Aug 08, 2014 8:40 pm

33lima wrote:Not into MP since (i) to me the major advantage of playing on a PC is that the PC provides an ever-ready enemy who is (should be) programmed to play reasonably realistically not 'game the game' (ii) sims which major on MP seem to do so at the cost of SP and (iii) MP seems prone to all sorts of behaviour I don't care for, like WW1 virtual pilots apparently using voice comms in a pre-radio era, ignoring proper Radio Voice Procedure (and that much happens even in SB Pro MP games, from what I've seen), playing like their lives didn't depend on it and all the rest.

I could not agree more. I always approached a game cession as a training cession, but most gamers just want to blow the shit up and boast about running a simulated serious game session from their PC. I always had that problem in any group I ever went to.

At the beginning of those MP SBProPE  sessions, you were given 4 tanks and most players would get killed 4 times before they ran out of tanks to jump in. Some players then start to beg guys like me if they can control one of my tanks since I did not lose any of my tanks. That is not simulation. A simulation is first a mind frame then a software, otherwise one might as well play from one's couch with an X-Box. And yes, it is mandatory to keep the same seat until the end of the cession.

A lot of gamers in sims are in it for a small adrenaline rush, and not to practice or to learn. It is a tactical fast food.

I asked about "Unity of Command" because it is more like a boardgame about Blitzkrieg, Schwerpunkt, communication lines, and pockets on the Eastern front.

I played Columbia inc games "EuroFront".
    lockie
    lockie
    TSF Member
    TSF Member

Heroes and Generals Empty Heroes & Generals

Post by lockie Fri May 22, 2015 2:58 pm

Heroes & Generals is a free-to-play Massively Online FPS with a strategic multiplayer campaign, set in the midst of World War II Europe, where the United States, Germany and the Soviet Union all fight each other for control.
    Players can choose to play as 'Heroes', fighting in varied roles as soldiers or commanding planes, tanks and other vehicles, or take control of the war as 'Generals', determining strategic direction and managing battlefield assets, army units and reinforcements.
    The game merges first-person shooter action with a rich strategic layer where player decisions can turn the tide in an ongoing war among thousands of online players.
    http://www.heroesandgenerals.com
    lockie
    lockie
    TSF Member
    TSF Member

Post by lockie Fri May 22, 2015 3:04 pm

What the hell it is strategic multiplayer campaign?
    According to the teaser it's shooter, but "strategy campaign"?
    I think I should try this game. It looks a very good!

Here`s short video for the "Tiger". Unfortunately, it is arcade, but anyway it looks fine!

This video is more interesting Cool

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 12, 2024 9:55 am