MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

3 posters

South to the Naktong, North to the Yalu June - November 1950

woofiedog
    woofiedog
    TSF Member-Silver Tools
    TSF Member-Silver Tools

South to the Naktong, North to the Yalu June - November 1950     Empty South to the Naktong, North to the Yalu June - November 1950

Post by woofiedog Wed Sep 23, 2015 9:00 am

An article for those of you who enjoy a bit of reading and might come in handy for a reference source. Smile

A very detailed and comprehensive look at the beginning phases of the Korean War 1950, to which I have not finished reading myself.

A few quotes about the writer...

The writer was not entirely a stranger to Korea when he arrived there early in July 1951.

Even when reports of military organizations are models of official records, the author agrees wholly with Marshal Erich von Manstein, who believes that a historian of military matters and campaigns "cannot get the truth from files and documents alone . . . the answer . . . will seldom be found-certainly not in a complete form-in files or war diaries."

General Ward's constant injunction to the author was to seek the truth of the Korean War and to tell it, no matter whom it might touch unfavorably. He wanted the facts made known, because only from them, he thought, could the United States build a better army for its defense.

How well the writer remembers his statement one day in casual conversation, "Truth is the first casualty in battle." He has tried not to have it the first casualty in this account of the Korean War.

Just click on the chapters to open and read them. Cool

UNITED STATES ARMY IN THE KOREAN WAR

SOUTH TO THE NAKTONG, NORTH TO THE YALU.

(June-November 1950) by Roy E. Appleman.

http://www.history.army.mil/books/korea/20-2-1/toc.htm

Quote...

Here is the story of how U.S. Army combat units, thrown piecemeal into the battle to slow Communist advances, fought a desperate and heroic delaying action, buying time until the United Nations forces could attain the military strength necessary to take the offensive. When that offensive was launched, it quickly crushed the North Korean forces, only to be met with the massive intervention of a more formidable adversary, Communist China.
    Technopiper

South to the Naktong, North to the Yalu June - November 1950     Empty Re: South to the Naktong, North to the Yalu June - November 1950

Post by Technopiper Wed Sep 23, 2015 2:27 pm

I have read that book. Here's a pdf version you can download: http://www.koreanwar2.org/kwp2/cmh/south_to_the_naktong.pdf

I am fascinated with the Battle of Chongchon River. The fact that infantry with no heavy weapon, no air, armor or artillery support can prevail against an mechanized army is intriguing.
    frinik
    frinik
    TSF Member-Golden Feather

South to the Naktong, North to the Yalu June - November 1950     Empty Re: South to the Naktong, North to the Yalu June - November 1950

Post by frinik Wed Sep 23, 2015 5:09 pm

"Truth is the first casualty in battle."

"The original quote is from the Ancient Greek writer Aeschylus who said: "In war truth is the first casualty...
    Technopiper

Post by Technopiper Wed Sep 23, 2015 5:44 pm

frinik wrote:"Truth is the first casualty in battle."

"The original quote is from the Ancient Greek writer Aeschylus who said: "In war truth is the first casualty...
    Assuming you are refering to what I said, why would Appleman lie about something like that? I regard him as a reliable narrator. He may be limited by information available (as all historians), but I believe he is sincere and concerned about telling the truth.
    woofiedog
    woofiedog
    TSF Member-Silver Tools
    TSF Member-Silver Tools

Post by woofiedog Wed Sep 23, 2015 9:28 pm

Believe that both of you [frinik] and [Technopiper] are correct as the quote did originate from the Ancient Greek writer Aeschylus as frinik states. But as I read it from the way it is written in the article/book... the quote was brought up during a conversation.

Quote... How well the writer remembers his statement one day in casual conversation.
    Technopiper

Post by Technopiper Thu Sep 24, 2015 5:30 am

woofiedog wrote:Believe that both of you [frinik] and [Technopiper] are correct as the quote did originate from the Ancient Greek writer Aeschylus as frinik states. But as I read it from the way it is written in the article/book... the quote was brought up during a conversation.

Quote... How well the writer remembers his statement one day in casual conversation.
    I feel so stupid. Embarassed Thank you for pointing that out, woofie. Sorry about the misunderstanding, frinik. Smile
    woofiedog
    woofiedog
    TSF Member-Silver Tools
    TSF Member-Silver Tools

Post by woofiedog Thu Sep 24, 2015 6:17 am

Technopiper... Don't worry, a quick 25 lashes and a week of absence from your favorite beverage will cure that. LoL Laughing
    Technopiper

Post by Technopiper Thu Sep 24, 2015 6:31 am

woofiedog wrote:Technopiper... Don't worry, a quick 25 lashes and a week of absence from your favorite beverage will cure that. LoL Laughing
    Make it 50, just stay away from my booze! drunken
    frinik
    frinik

Post by frinik Thu Sep 24, 2015 7:42 am

No offence taken Technopiper Very Happy . I was merely correcting the issue of the originator of that quote which has been attributed to a US senator and a British historian both of whom used it but did not coin it.

I remembered it was from Aeschylus because I am old enough to have had classical Greek history & literature as part of my schooling in the sixties.

Going back to the original topic aside from the Korean war rather than invest time in a Japanese tank mod which would bring, in my opinion, little value to SF and require lots of extra work why not make a 1939 Polish campaign and 1940  Belgium/Netherlands/French campaigns? We have many of the models already and the infantry and some of the landscapes and most of the vegetation. We would only need French & Polish tanks and infantry.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 10, 2024 10:00 am